The building that is now the Richmond Free Library was built in 1897 as a church for the Universalist Unitarian Congregation. It served as a church until 1956, when the congregation decided to disband and sell the property to Richmond resident Walter A. Griffith, who then offered the property to the Richmond School District. Richmond voters accepted the gift at the 1957 town meeting and passed a $7,000.00 bond to transform the building into a cafeteria and gymnasium. Then, in the mid 1980s, a new elementary and middle school were constructed, and the premises was no longer needed. The school district deeded the building to the town, and in 1990, voters approved a bond to renovate the building’s first floor for use as a library. The library moved from its previous location on Depot Street to the newly renovated space in 1991. Construction for the second floor and mezzanine began in June 2002 and finished in January 2003. The second floor now includes two youth libraries and a large community space with a grand piano, and the mezzanine has a lounge and three study/practice rooms.
Between our adult, young adult, and juvenile collections, we currently house nearly 24,000 books, audiobooks, periodicals, videos and music, with approximately 40,000 circulations annually. The number of downloadable items available has grown to over 10,000 ebooks and over 14,000 audiobooks. Our programs draw more than 15,000 visitors each year, with summer reading programs, summer art classes and storytimes for children, financial seminars for adults, nature programs for all, and much more. Our spacious community room is also available to the public and is an often-used space for music events, private lessons, birthday parties, and more!
LIBRARY STAFF & TRUSTEES
Rebecca Mueller is the Library Director, Wendy de Forest is the Assistant Director and Youth Director, L.J. Kopf is the Youth Services Assistant and Joan Cleary is Senior Library Assistant. You’ll also find Douglas Barnes and Jennifer Esser working as library assistants.
Richmond Free Library Trustees are Emily Mitchell, Laurie Dana, Kathie Templin, Jana Brown and Martha Nye. Trustees are elected on Town Meeting Day and serve a 5-year term. Trustees meet a minimum of six times per year. To view meeting agendas and minutes, visit the Trustee website: rfltrustees
The library is closed for all Federal holidays and Richmond Town Meeting Day:
New Year’s Day
Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Birthday
Thanksgiving Day & Friday after
Early closure on Christmas Eve
View the RFL Policies
RFL By-laws, View
HomeCard Library System
View the Homecard Brochure (Appendix D).
View the Richmond Free Library’s Privacy Policies (Appendix F).
To learn more about our vision for the library, read our Strategic Plan.
Learn how to submit Richmond Free Library materials for Reconsideration (Appendix C).
Bill of Rights
View the American Library Association’s Bill of Rights (Appendix A).
Freedom to Read
View the American Library Association’s Freedom to Read Statement (Appendix B).
Title 22, V.S.A Chapter 4
View the Vermont Statute for Library Patron Records (Appendix E).